2 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
grated rind of 1/2 orange
1 pound butter
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 lemon slices
1 orange slice
Preheat oven to 400.
1. Combine syrup ingredients and boil for 10 minutes. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
2. Combine nuts, sugar, cinnamon and orange rind well.
3. Melt butter and brush on a casserole or cookie sheet at least 9" x 13".
4. Lay out 4 of the phylo leaves, brushing with melted butter between each.
5. Cover with nut mixture, and continue to alternate 4 sheets of phyllo brushed with butter and the nut mixture, until all ingredients are used. End with 4 sheets of phyllo for the top (also brushed with butter between each).
6. Brush top with remaining butter and square off edges with sharp knife. Cut diagonal lines into the top layer to form diamond shapes.
7. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, lower oven to 300 degrees and continue to bake for 40 minutes until golden brown in color.
8. While still hot, cover with warm syrup and let stand overnight before serving.
Refrigerated, baklava will keep for weeks and it can be frozen, although it will lose some of the crunch.