Chilled Corn Chowder
9 medium-size ears fresh yellow corn
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Boil corn in salted water, covered, 2 to 3 minutes. (For a smoky flavor, you can also roast or grill the ears instead of boiling them.) Slice kernels off the ears with a sharp paring knife.
2. In two batches, purée kernels in a blender with 4 cups water. Strain purée into a bowl, pressing to squeeze out the corn liquid, and throw away the kernel mash.
3. Add salt to taste and chill soup until cold, at least 3 hours.
4. Meanwhile, boil tightly packed fresh basil leaves for 2 to 3 seconds. Drain immediately, plunge in ice water, and drain again. Purée basil in a blender with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the olive oil.
5. Serve soup cold, drizzled with basil oil.