Onion and Date Tart with Goat Cheese
2 lbs onions, peeled and sliced very thin
1 whole clove garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 egg whites
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup dates pitted and diced
6 oz mild goat cheese, crumbled
1 prepared 10-inch tart or pie shell
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large heavy skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. Saute onions and garlic for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carmelized and golden. Discard garlic and set onions aside to cool.
3. Place crust in an oven-proof dish. With a fork, prick the bottom of the crust several times and bake for 5-7 minutes, until very lightly toasted, and let cool.
4. Combine egg whites, cream, nutmeg, cloves, chives, salt and pepper with a wire whisk.
5. Add onions to pie shell, pour in egg mixture, and scatter with goat cheese and dates.
6. Bake for about 45 minutes, until mixture has set in the center.