2 pounds cubed boneless pork loin (beef or lamb may be substituted)
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 pound dried apricots
4 tablespoons apricot jam
1 tablespoon tamarind paste (available in most Asian or Latin markets or substitute guava paste)
1 garlic clove peeled
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons red wine (preferably a South African Pinotage)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
(1 day before serving)
1. Rub a large bowl with garlic clove. place the cubed pork in the bowl. Add salt and pepper and toss.
2. In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat add oil. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and curry and saute for one more minute. Add sugar, tamarind paste, vinegar and apricot jam. Stir well.
3. Add corn starch / red wine paste to onion mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool. Add to the pork and toss well.
4. Marinate in refrigerator, tightly sealed, for 24 hours.
5. Combine the dried apricots and sherry in a small bowl and marinate overnight.
(day of serving)
Drain the pork. Thread the pork on skewers alternating with apricots. Grill over hot coals until browned on all sides. Serve hot.